Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Phoenix Symphony CloseUps Performances

7 p.m. Monday at Borders Books at Biltmore Fashion Park, 2402 E. Camelback Road.
Monica Daniel was building a nice career at a Midwest accounting firm, but as she was considering a new position at the company she heard some flute music on the radio. And began to cry. "It was a Mozart flute quintet and the tears just came to my eyes," said Daniel, 30. "I was so moved. It was clear to me then that it was now or never; I was still young, I could still do it."
With stops in Tulsa and New Mexico along the way...
...Last year she learned that the first chair flute position was open in the Phoenix Symphony and she interviewed. "I was up against something like 100 or 120 people, and again, someone was watching out for me, I guess, and things came together right," Daniel said. "I got it, and here I am, thrilled, loving it." Not only loving it, but glad to share her art with all of us and not just at orchestra performances. At 7 p.m. Monday Daniel will appear at Borders Books at Biltmore Fashion Park, 2402 E. Camelback Road. The program is one of the Phoenix Symphony CloseUps performances. Symphony spokeswoman Jan Septon says they are "casual, interactive, family-oriented programs," featuring a different Phoenix Symphony musician on the second Monday of most months during the concert season. All are at the Biltmore Borders store. Daniel says she's looking forward to it. "I'm giving a presentation on French flute music of the early 20th century, and, of course, I will play," she said. "It will be a nice opportunity for people to hear the flute by itself and to learn something of what the music is all about."

No comments: