Thursday, February 17, 2005

Carnival Of Recipies time again...

I had promissed I was going to do enchilada's this week, but then I found this gem from my mother and looked at the calander... The enchilada's will have to wait. St. Patricks Day is fast approaching and if you want to corn your own beef time is running out!My mother and my Uncle Dave have been doing this for years and believe me there is no substitute for the real thing.
  • 1 1/2 cups kosher salt
  • 1 gallon water
  • 1 table spoon sugar
  • 2 table spoons pickling spices
  • 1/2 ounce saltpeter (potassium or sodium nitrate, check with your pharmacy or online at froogle/food & gourmet or eBay)
  • 8 bay leaves
  • 5 pounds beef brisket
  • 8 cloves garlic
  1. Combine all but beef and garlic in a stock pot and boil for 5 minutes, let cool
  2. Place briskut and garlic in a clean stone crock or glass container (plastic is ok too)
  3. Pour cold mixture on top and cover briskut with a weight to keep submerged
  4. Cover top of container with clean cloth and tie in place
  5. Place in cold place (fridge or outdoors if Temp stays between about 25 and 40 degrees; the salt will keep it from freezing) for 12 days to pickle (we've gone as long as 3 weeks with no adverse outcome, but I wouldn't go for less than 12 days)
  6. Remove rinse and freeze to store longer than a day or two
  7. To cook place in pot and cover with water and bring to boil
  8. Skim anything that floats and then simmer for 3 hours until tender
Compare this to what you get in the store and you'll never buy the store stuff again!

If you like Cabbage with it while the meat rests, check the liquid for saltiness and if it's over powering dilute it with water. Boil cabbage, potatoes, onion and carrots in the liquid until tender. I like my cabbage a little firm so I add it last after the other ingredients are almost done.

Enjoy!

Previous entries:
Welsh Pancakes
Pan Fried Steak with Red Wine Reduction
Hot Peanut Chicken Stir Fry
Uncle Dave's Green Chili Stew

No comments: