Monday, January 17, 2005

Have you ever had one of those kitchen disasters?

I fixed a piece of Strip Steak for dinner tonight and had a little mishap...I pan fried a steak for dinner and I was going to finish it off with a red wine reduction... needless to say everything went fine until I was almost done with the reduction... I was adding a dab of butter to finish it off, when I went to grab the skillet handle (which was hot because I had finished the steak off in the oven) and ended up with butter and red wine all over my kitchen floor... along with the skillet. Luckily, I didn't burn myself and the skillet wasn't damaged... as for the floor, I needed to mop anyway! To top it off I have my recipe for the week!

Pan Fried Steak with Red Wine Reduction

  • Steak (suggest Rib-eye or NY Strip about 1.5 inches thick)
  • Red Wine (something you would drink... I prefer a Zinfandel, Merlot or Cabernet)
  • Salt (I use kosher but any will do)
  • Pepper (fresh ground is the best)
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Trim any excess fat from edge of Steak
  3. Salt and pepper both sides of steak (if using a leaner cut of meat such a Sirloin I'd add a little olive oil)
  4. Place steak in a hot skillet and sear both sides until well-browned (3-4 minutes)
  5. Place skillet in oven and finish any additional meal preparations (about 10 Minutes- if you think about it turn the steak halfway through, leave in oven longer if you need to and if you like your steak overcooked leave it a long time- this is very forgiving)
  6. Remove from oven and plate the steak to rest the meat
  7. Place skillet on a hot burner and add wine to deglaze (cover the bottom of the skillet)
  8. Reduce the wine to syrup like consistency and add a pat of butter to thicken further
  9. Drizzle on steak and serve
For wild game such as Deer or Elk be sure to trim all visible fat and coat the meat generously with olive oil, also squeeze fresh citrus (Tangerine and Venison go well together) over the steak as you place in the oven to finish and again with the wine reduction.

No comments: